Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Part 2: The Magic of Stuff: An interview with Clutter Coach Cecilia Moorcroft.

Last week we were introduced to Clutter Coach, Cecilia Moorcroft. We heard about her first forays into magic and into clearing clutter with Feng Shui.

Cecilia introduced us to the Feng Shui principal, “our stuff is alive and talking to us.” She spoke of how clutter has many layers, including the simplest, most superficial layer being garbage and recycling.

Clutter has deeper layers too. The deeper and deeper one goes into clutter and layers of stuff, the stronger the emotional ties we have to them.

Welcome back to part two of a six-part series on “the Magic of stuff.” This week we will hear about how Cecilia discovered the hidden meanings and emotional attachments she had to her own stuff, and how clearing her clutter made way for her to start living the life she was meant to live.

Cecilia started by asking the tough questions about her stuff. “Does this represent who I am, or who I used to be? Do I love this now, or is this something that I used to love?”

CM: When I got to that layer [the things felt more attached to] of my stuff, it was actually pretty scary. I [already] got rid of all of these things... So, I am like “okay, I know I am not ‘this’ anymore...” But I had no idea at the time who I was.

It was pretty incredible and definitely was like a magical experience. When I could really let go of all the things I wasn’t: -like, “I am not a size six anymore, I am not a collector of wind-up toys anymore, I am not going out with a metal-head in high-school anymore... These are the things I am not; it actually made space for me to discover who I am, and led me in a real way to Feng Shui, to going to the Western School of Feng Shui to studying Feng Shui. It led me to the world of clearing clutter and to becoming a Clutter Coach.

So, I used the tools... I didn’t know when I read that book [Clearing Your Clutter with Feng Shui] it would lead me on this journey to providing this for other people, but it happened in a very beautiful and magical way.

Up until then, I was like, “why don’t I know what I want?” ...and really attached to not knowing what I wanted, not being able to have what I want, or not knowing who I am.

RW: That’s very interesting: -the attachment to not knowing “what you want.” It serves us in what way? How would that serve us?

CW: Well, its a great story.  It fit with my childhood. It fit with my experiences being in my family: -a family of people who all knew what they wanted very early on, career wise. Even now, I can bump into that wall of that attachment to ideas. “I don’t know what I want” or “cant have what I want.”

RW: Can you offer an example of how an attachment to stuff is a symbol of that story, of its connection in some object or something that you might have in your space, and then about the experience of removing or letting it go?

CW: I can give you an example from a friend of mine. He’s a musician. One Christmas his parents gave him a silly novelty tie that was like a piano keyboard, and a blow-up guitar. These were stocking-stuffers. I went to go visit him and I was like “Oh, what is this weird stuff?” And he’s like “ My parents [furrowed brow] gave it to me for Christmas,”  like with this flavor of “they obviously don’t understand me.”

I asked him, “well, why don’t you just throw them out?”
“I can’t.” He said. “They’re gifts.” But in that small exchange so much was revealed about his relationship to his parents, his attachment to that relationship, and his attachment to the idea “my parents don’t understand me, never have, and if they understood me, they’d never buy me a blow up guitar.” Right? [Laughs]. A lot of us are attached to our failures, or attached to the symbols of things that didn’t work out.

I have met or worked with so many single women who have all [gestures around the table] the memento and all the stuff from their past relationships? Sometimes its buried deep, but sometimes its right there, like the dried flowers from the last date five years ago are on the wall. I love ‘that’ symbolically: -dried flowers are like, “I am never gonna get flowers again.”

Flowers are alive. When you have flowers, you want to interact with live flowers. That’s the beauty of flowers, that they are alive. There is this moment in time that you can have them and appreciate them, but when they die, energetically, they are not alive anymore. So, holding on to this symbol is holding on to the death of a relationship.

RW: In a way it creates this block from actually having new flowers. 

CM: Exactly! Exactly! Sometimes very concretely. I have heard women say “I am not going to throw these out until I get a new boy friend, or I get a new girlfriend.”

RW: Have you ever heard of an experience where someone has decided to go against this, and manifested a positive transformation in that way?

CM: You mean go against the...?

RW: ...take that desire to hold on to it, and say “okay, I am gonna let it go?”

CM: Well, I have personal experience of that. [Laughs]

Coming next week: Part three of the six-part magicformuggles blog Series “the Magic of Stuff.” We will here how clearing the closets made space for clutter coach Cecilia Moorcroft to find new meaning in her life, and new love.

No comments:

Post a Comment