Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Part 1: The Magic of Stuff, An interview with Clutter Coach, Cecilia Moorcroft.

Welcome to the inaugural magicformuggles.com Blog Series, and Part 1 of “the Magic of Stuff,” a six-part blog series based on an interview with Clutter Coach and Personal Organizer, Cecilia Moorcroft. Cecilia owns and operates “Space for Life,” a Toronto-based service aimed at getting the clutter out of the way to make space for the real you. I had the pleasure of interviewing Cecilia over a yummy meal at the AGO cafe in January 2012.

RW: What is your magical background?

CM: I have to say that I am kind of like a magical dabbler. I couldn’t say that am fully out as a witch or anything like that. I worked at WonderWorks for many years and when I first started working there I didn’t know anything about anything. I didn’t know anything about goddesses. I didn’t know anything about magic. I had never heard of Starhawk. Probably, tarot cards was the closest I ever got as a teenager, and ‘like’ kept getting the tower card over and over.

When I interviewed for the job at WonderWorks I had other retail skills, but I didn’t have magical skills. The store at the time was owned by Mary Anderson. She was all about ritual. The store was a space where people could come and get tools or resources for ritual: -whether it was for somebody passing on to the next life, a young woman passing in to womanhood, marriage, or whatever. Working at WonderWorks was my introduction to the world of magic, to Starhawk... [smiles] It was really from working there that I learned...

WonderWorks gave names to experiences I had been having in my life. I remember going to Greece as a young woman, when I was thirteen years old. We toured around all of these ancient sites. I had such a strong sense of belonging, and of magic, like of being able to feel the history and the footsteps of the people who lived there. Then coming to WonderWorks I learned all about goddesses and the goddesses of Greece. Suddenly, the experiences that I had been having in nature and the world made sense. 

WonderWorks also introduced me to the world of Feng Shui. I read a book called “Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui.” Its this idea that our stuff is alive and talking to us, and that we can, when we engage with our space and engage with things that belong to us, we shift the way we are engaged in our life and change happens.


There is this ‘sacredness:’ this idea of the sacred in the every day, the sacred in your space, the sacred in the hat you wear, or in the underwear [laughs] you put on every morning. Anything can become sacred when we put our attention on it or our intention into it: -a simple everyday object, or the way we make tea in the morning. The way we clean our space can be imbued with magic.

You can have a bath... Or you can have ‘a’ bath. You can have a magical bath. You can go to sleep, or you can go to sleep with the intention of lucid dreaming.

People for the most part are sleepwalking through their lives. What I love most about the work I do is its an opportunity to constantly wake up. There’s like a constant invitation to wake up and be awake in your life and be awake in your space.

I didn’t really answer your question about magic.

RW: Well, yes! ...And you segued into two other questions very nicely.  “Space for Life?” You touched on that, by working at WonderWorks you read a book?

CW: Yeah, so how did it happen? Well, when I got my job at WonderWorks I was really in a big transition phase. I didn’t know what I wanted. I didn’t know where I was going. And, I didn’t know who I was.

It was right around around the time of my Saturn return. Saturn return is a process. A lot of my time at WonderWorks was spent in my Saturn return. I knew that I was looking for something, but I didn’t know what it was.  At the time I was quite heavy. I was overweight. I had a lot of stuff. I had a lot of clutter.

Working at WonderWorks was great. There’s all these books, and I’d go on my lunch, and bring a book... just sort of check it out. I got to be introduced gently to all these different things.

One lunch I brought “Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui,” by Karen Kingston. I did so for a week every day. Its a little book. So, I finished it in a week.

Like most self help books I was like, “this feels so great to read it, but I’ll never do it.”  I didn’t actually think I would do anything about my clutter, but I liked the feeling of imagining my life with some space, and it worked. I started clearing my clutter. Over the course of about a year and a half I cleared more and more clutter.

There’s so many different layers of clutter. There’s the very superficial layer of garbage. Today before I came here I was [like] “oh, I have to do a little something.”  There was the recycling piled up high. So I cleared it. I took out the garbage. Thats a very superficial layer of clutter, but it is clutter.

It's not huge emotional attachment, at least not for me. There ‘is’ for some people: -of letting go of garbage. But the more you work through it, it can really become an exercise in getting really, really clear about who are and what you want. Sometimes that starts with who you're not. 

One of the really powerful clutter clearing questions I love is: does this represent who I am now, or does it represent who I used to be? Is this something that I love now, or is this something that I used to love?

Coming next week: Part 2 of The Cecilia Moorcroft Interview on “the Magic of Stuff.” In the second in six-part series on uncovering the hidden magic and meanings of “stuff,” hear how Cecilia cleared her clutter, culled her emotional attachments, and made space for her true self to live, breath and be free.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Robbie! I'm laughing over here because you asked me two short questions and I gave two looong answers. :)

    Folks can find me over at www.spaceforlife.ca if they're curious.

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your long answers Cecilia! There is so much magical amazing you in each of them!

      Delete
  2. love it! keep them coming please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Erica! So glad to see you reading here!

      Delete
  3. Hi Robbie and Cecilia,
    Cecilia - I love how you approach your work - you are an inspiration to me in my work :) and
    Robbie - good job on the series - I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kim! Great to see you here.. Glad you like the blog. I am cooking up another series in the mean time. Keep checking back.. The next part is out tomorrow!

      Delete